2.3 PRS and Royalties



1. Export Strategies

2. Digital Rights

2.1 Insurance

2.2 Trademarking

2.3 PRS and royalties

2.4 Publishing

2.5 Synchronisation

2.6 Youtube

2.7 Other income streams

2.8 Legal Primer

2.9 Being commissioned internationally

3. Support and Funding

4. International 101

5. Conclusion

2.3 PRS and PPL (when a recording is involved)

To best understand royalties, have a look at our royalties primer. No matter where your music is used, the royalties are collected abroad through a network of reciprocal agreements via PRS.  In terms of our music export checklist, it is best to explain a few specific royalty streams and collecting organisations, listed below:


There are three types of royalties for composers:

●      Performance royalties - based on each performance or broadcast of a performance. Can include: live performance, performance broadcast on radio or TV, broadcast of a recorded work on CD etc. Collected by PRS and affiliated societies

●      Grand rights - only for works which are staged (not only opera and dance, but also if an existing work is staged or has dance set to it) - individually negotiated and normally a % of box office

●     Mechanical royalties - based on a mechanical reproduction (ie recording) of a work


Remember, if you are a member of PRS, theoretically you do not need a publisher to receive royalties that are owed to you. PRS connections with other international collecting societies means royalties will eventually pass back to you, (although a publisher can often obtain these more quickly through its local offices or subsidiaries in these territories).

If you are not registered with PRS, then do so here.

Membership of PRS for Music covers you for both performing and mechanical royalties, since they collect revenues for their members, who are all music copyright holders. The entire system is managed online and regardless of your development, if you compose you must be a member to receive any royalties.



This section is relevant to those whose music is recorded. If you are signed to a record label, this may not be relevant to you, but check with your label representative first to see what your contract covers. If you have recorded your music for others to use, you must register with PPL in order to begin collecting money for the use of your recordings. Through doing so, you can make claims online and gain access to statements.

PPL's international network of agreements with other music licensing companies enables PPL to collect royalties for the use of recordings and performances in more than 30 countries around the world for a low administration fee - for most countries, just 2-10%.

There is a guide we can link as well.  Here it is: https://drive.google.com/a/sounddiplomacy.com/file/d/0B6MTU_VWWL3VN2tOY25DR25qNWxpclFBem85M 2ZLcHhnRXZR/edit?usp=sharing

Sound and Music|3rd Floor, South Wing, Somerset House, London WC2R 1LA|Tel +44 (0)20 7759 1800||Registered Charity: 1124609|VAT Reg No: 937 5533 96 

Designed by Fitzroy & Finn|Built by Platform3|Copyright © Sound and Music 2016