Summer School 2015
The Sound and Music Summer School is the only UK residential course of its kind for young composers and an inspiring and intensive week full of collaboration, fun, learning and creativity.
Dates: Sunday 2 - Saturday 8 August 2015
Summer School gives young composers the opportunity to work with composers and musicians from a wide variety of musical traditions, from classical and jazz to world and new media.
From life-changing musical experiences to life-long friendships, there’s so much young people can get out of the course. We always look for young composers* with talent, a commitment to creating their own music and a desire to learn more. Importantly, however, we fundraise for bursaries to ensure admission to the course can be extended to every young person with the talent.
* By composer we mean anyone who creates their own original pieces of music. During the Summer School, participants need to be able to notate their pieces so that performers can play them, but notation can range from traditional western classical to chord charts and graphic scores to text instructions.
The Summer School gives you the chance to:
- Meet and work with leading composers and musicians
- Meet lots of other young composers
- Create your own piece of music
- Explore different styles and methods of composing and music-making
- Have your music recorded and receive a CD afterwards
- Bring your instrument to take part in creative sessions (it doesn’t matter how good a performer you are!)
Cost: The full cost is £395 for the week including all food, accommodation and activities. We are determined that everyone who is accepted on the course should be able to attend regardless of their family's circumstances and have a means-tested grant scheme available. Please contact us if you have any questions about this - we really do want to help you come and have the most amazing week of music-making!
Arts Award: Taking part in the Summer School can contribute to your Arts Award.