Copyright Advice

Always get good independent legal advice before signing a contract with a publisher or record company. Understand your rights before signing anything. Find a lawyer who is specialised in music industry contracts.

You can find a specialist firm through The Law Society or ask trade associations for recommendations. The best place to get advice for artists and composers is through trade associations, who can provide a range of services to their members including workshops and training, and recommendations for lawyers, agents and managers.

Trade Associations in Music

Collecting Societies

PRS for Music
PRS for Music is an umbrella organisation for Performing Rights Society (PRS) and Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS), which licenses work for publishers and composers.

Phonographic Performance Limited
PPL is a licensing organisation for artists

Other Associations

Fundraising Regulator
Sound and Music|3rd Floor, South Wing, Somerset House, London WC2R 1LA|Tel +44 (0)20 7759 1800||Registered Charity: 1124609|VAT Reg No: 937 5533 96 

Designed by Fitzroy & Finn|Built by Platform3|Copyright © Sound and Music 2016