Funding Your Studies

Studying is expensive, and it is important to ensure you have the funds to support your studies and time out of work. Studying part-time studies is an option, which allows you time to work to support yourself, though juggling work and study can be difficult. There are a number of grants, bursaries and scholarships available to support your studies.

At the undergraduate and college level, you can get a student loan (depending on your needs). There are grants available at the post-graduate level, though they are highly competitive and often difficult to get. It is best to make the most of your free education and focus early on getting the skills you need to work.

The AHRC gives out block grants to institutions (who must regularly compete for them). This provides institutions with a means to support students. Competition for these awards, again, is extremely high. Students apply for these grants each year, which helps cover fees and some maintenance expenses. Ask your target institution if they have any AHRC block grants for postgraduate study. Don't be surprised if they say no. If they say yes, there will often be incredibly strict criteria for applying for them.

In the most secure cases, AHRC post-grad positions are funded by research projects or collaboration between institutions. When this occurs, it is normal to see the positions advertised on . If you get one of these positions, you will be working on someone else's project. This is not as bad as it sounds. You get a PhD out of it, and will be part of the academic community.

Research and Education Funding

Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC)

Research Councils UK

Science and Technology Facilities Council

The Educational Grants Directory published by the Directory for Social Change annually.

The Countess of Munster Musical Trust
The trust provides financial support to young musicians


Some institutions also have their own money for awards. This is rare, and when it happens, competition is again extremely high. What is more common is that institutions have a smaller amount of money (often bursaries around £1000). You can find out about these through any institution's graduate school.

Finally, you can get funding for further study and research via a number of external organisations. At present, these opportunities demand that you are at PhD level already. Even then, there are not many options available for artists. Basically, if you want to work, get a job in some other discipline, or work in the creative industries.

Fundraising Regulator
Sound and Music|3rd Floor, South Wing, Somerset House, London WC2R 1LA|Tel +44 (0)20 7759 1800||Registered Charity: 1124609|VAT Reg No: 937 5533 96 

Designed by Fitzroy & Finn|Built by Platform3|Copyright © Sound and Music 2016